Title: Equity & Impact Associate Director
Location: California / Hybrid (Davis, CA Region preferred, with frequent trips to Davis)
FTE: 1 FTE
Salary: $73,000 – $85,000 annually
Reports To: Executive Director
Bilingual Pay Differential: Eligible
Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) is a California-based membership organization that includes family farmers and other community members passionate about local food, farming, and the environment. As a farmer-serving organization, we recognize the historic and lasting inequities in the California food and farming system. We believe farmers of color, and other historically oppressed people, should have the opportunity to create and participate in a food and agriculture system that aligns with their needs, values, identities, knowledge systems, and communities. We commit to advancing racial, gender, and environmental justice in our larger systems, as well as in our own workplace. Currently our programming is focused in four areas: Farm to Market, Policy & Advocacy, Farmer Services, and Ecological Farming. To learn more about CAFF, our history, and our core values, visit https://www.caff.org/about.
CAFF has grown in size over the past few years and refined its focus on communities of farmers it aims to serve. This position will develop trainings and processes for staff to build shared understanding of the organization’s mission, vision, and core values and support staff in their efforts to build an anti-racist organization; this work includes efforts to serve an increasingly racially diverse farmer base, as well as advance conversations around racial justice with our white and Black Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) members. The Equity & Impact Director will serve on the CAFF Management Team and work to support the implementation of our 5-year strategic plan and the transformation of organizational culture in alignment with our organizational core values and capacities.This position will work closely with the Operations Director to create internal systems and track progress towards goals and work closely with Program Directors to resource their teams as they navigate transformation and provide some one-on-one support to individual staff.
In 2020, after an extensive discussion and reflection process, CAFF affirmed justice and equity as a core value, and a commitment to better serve the needs of BIPOC farmers. In 2021, we developed and adopted a Racial Equity Action Plan, with a particular focus on growing our capacity to serve Spanish-speaking Latinx farmers. CAFF’s internal staff-led Justice & Equity Committee has offered some organizational accountability and is seeking additional leadership and support to advance organizational changes. In addition, Latinx/Spanish-speaking staff developed Las Semillas (Latinx/Spanish language staff peer support network) and Cosecha Colectiva (Latinx/Spanish-language specific projects), as two organizational structures to ensure culturally and linguistically appropriate technical assistance is being provided to farmers.
The position is preferred in Davis, CA and particularly Northern California, given frequent trips to Davis. Additional travel will be required throughout California to support staff.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
|35%||Lead Organizational Implementation of Justice & Equity
|30%||Lead and Support Strategic Plan Implementation
|25%||Facilitate Farmer Accountability
|10%||Participate in Organizational Activities
Educational and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years experience working in a similar position, ideally with a nonprofit organization
- Experience working with farmers in sustainable agriculture, or related fields preferred
- Experience working in Latinx cultural communities is preferred
- Significant experience in mediation, conflict resolution, and building organizational accountability are preferred
- Demonstrated ability to create processes to advance justice and equity goals is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Leadership experience within non-profit setting
- Experience with team building in a virtual/hybrid work environment
- Skilled at facilitating conversations around racial equity
- Strong understanding of what racial equity looks like in organizational practice
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to handle competing demands
- Effective English language written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Spanish language written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely if necessary
- Strong computer skills, including above average knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Google Suite, and Wordpress or similar
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with and support diverse team members through your understanding of self, language, culture, and community
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube
- Willing to listen and able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Desired experience: Salesforce and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds and from historically underserved communities to apply.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and sample of your work that you feel is relevant to this position with the subject line “Equity & Impact Associate Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct 15th, 2023. Applications are assessed on a rolling basis. This position is open until filled with a projected close date of Oct 15th. Reference requests will be made further along in the application process.