Website Blossom and Bine
Field Assistant-Flower and Hop Farm
Flower/Hop Field Production Assistant
15-20 hrs/week, $18-$20/hour depending on experience
Blossom and Bine is a small family farm in Santa Rosa, growing cut flowers and hops. We are looking for a part-time employee for the 2024 growing season. This is a seasonal position beginning in March and ending in late November.
We are looking for someone who has at least one year of experience working on a production farm (flowers ideal but not required), who can work both collaboratively and independently in all sorts of weather, has great attention to detail, can communicate effectively, and has a good sense of humor! Farming is hard work and often isolating, so we are looking for someone who is ready to have a good time, share jokes and help make the work enjoyable.
Hours are flexible initially, but once harvest season begins in June, the schedule becomes more rigid with Tuesdays and Thursdays required.
Duties over the course of the season include:
- Seeding and transplanting
- Clear old crops/weeds from field
- Layout, maintain and repair irrigation
- Bed prep
- Weed, prune, pinch, and deadhead crops
- Maintain a safe, organized, clean and beautiful farm. A.k.a. Put it back where it belongs!
- Harvest crops 2-3 days/week from June through October
- Maintain harvest records
- Cutting stems, changing water, cleaning buckets
- Maintenance of farm stand
- Prepping for delivery
- Participate in weekly check-ins.
- Provide general support for events as needed.
Hop Yard Work-
- Stringing coir
- Hand and mechanical weeding
- Thinning and training
- Irrigation maintenance
- 1+ Years of farming or production experience
- Knowledge of and experience with organic/regenerative farming practices
- Experience with common no-till and small scale farm equipment, including long handled farm tools, string mowers, weed wackers, etc.
- Basic understanding of plant growth and maturation.
- Ability to perform farm tasks in inclement weather, including rain or heat up to 95˚F
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds on a daily basis, and up to 50 pounds.
- Perform physical tasks associated with farm work-lots of bending, kneeling, lifting, etc.
- Be in possession of reliable transportation.
- Attention to detail. We pride ourselves on delivering a consistently high quality product.
- Ability to work independently efficiently and thoroughly. No one likes to be micromanaged, right
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and open to constructive feedback
- Knowledge of cut-flower production
- Flexibility and positive attitude
- Ability to balance time management in self-directed work and collaborative work, and to prioritize tasks efficiently and thoughtfully
- Careful post-harvest handling
- Help maintain and improve records of farming tasks and production
- Enthusiasm for gaining knowledge of and competency with organic and regenerative farming philosophy and practices
- Excellent work ethic with innate attention to detail, even while engaged in repetitive tasks
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and willingness to seek guidance as needed
- Reliable, prompt, and consistent
- A good sense of humor and tolerance for sarcasm!
How to apply: Please send your resume (including references) and cover letter explaining what interests you about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com