Website Burns Blossom Farm
Certified Organic no-till market farm in Chico, CA.
Year-round salaried position starting at $3,000/month. Minimum $1,500+ end-of-season bonus.
40hrs~/week average peak season. 2+ years farming experience required.
The Assistant Farm Manager will be working with the Farm Manager to help facilitate a smooth running farm operation in the field. The job offers the chance to grow with the farm and take on more and more responsibility. Tasks may include but is not limited to:
- Weekly field walks with farm manager to make harvest lists, check crop quality, and tasks + availability lists for the week ahead.
- Manage the farm operation when necessary.
- Transplanting(Paperpot & hand) & direct seeding with JP-5.
- Managing irrigation.
- Maintain detailed farm records.
- Managing the crew and harvests.
- Bed prep/bed flip with BCS or Tilther.
- Keep the farm orderly and clean.
- Packaging & shipping seed/farm product.
- Facilitating the implementation of the crop plan and adjusting it based on unforeseen circumstances.
- Staff the farmers markets/CSA pick-ups.
- Constant open communication with farm manager to help the farm run smooth.
ABOUT BURNS BLOSSOM FARM:
BURNS BLOSSOM is a REAL ORGANIC PROJECT & CCOF/USDA certified organic, diversified market farm under the stewardship of Mel & Kyle Forrest Burns(previously of Nye Ranch Farm). We farm two locations that are located 1/2 mile apart. Our urban farm is located in the beautiful Barber neighborhood a few minutes from Downtown Chico and Bidwell Park(3,670 acres of oaks, sycamores and the riparian habitat of Big Chico Creek that bisects the city). Our other location is Riparia, just down the street. Riparia is a larger farm and offers us the ability to grow certain crops at scale(garlic!) and experiment with cover crops, occultation and continue to develop our no-till methods.
We focus on human scale farming and hand tools, with the exception of a BCS walk-behind for flail mowing & power harrowing and a four wheel tractor to move compost. We grow annual vegetables, strawberries, herbs and cut-flowers. In 2023 our crops will be sold through two Chico farmers markets, a CSA farm box, restaurants, & grocery stores. BURNS BLOSSOM FARM will slowly become a community hub with several educational opportunities and events planned for the new year.
Farming is what we love, sharing and caring is what were best at! Our farming practices aim to maximize photosynthesis, increase the soil organic matter, sequester carbon, and nurture the community. Utilizing regenerative farming practices such as cover crops, mulching, intercropping, ramial wood-chip pathways, no-till practices, and pollinator hedgerows. We’re always trialing and experimenting with new techniques to foster soil health.
Between the two of us we have 18 years of market farming experience, while we are always striving to learn more ourselves we love to share our successes & failures.
Prior farm experience is required for this position. Our intention is to support and nurture your understanding, skills, and appreciation for local, regenerative agriculture, with opportunities to continue to grow with our farm. Must enjoy hard work, a fast pace, good conversation, and vegetables(!). We are looking for those who are serious and passionate about farming as a career. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone who is ready to take on the challenge, responsibility and gratification of farming.
Seeking those who are organized, curious, outgoing and personable.
- 2+ years of prior farming experience.
- Applicants should be able to work hard and efficiently in all weather.
- Comfortably lift 50+lbs.
- Enjoy repetitive tasks.
- Workdays are typically Monday-Friday 8 hours/day in peak season, but shorter in the shoulder seasons. Occasional work Farmers Markets on Wednesday & Saturday, and potential farm events.
- We average 40hr work weeks and start as early as 6am and adjust with the seasons.
- Committed to the full farming season.
Applications are open until the jobs are filled, Apply ASAP!
Please email your RESUME, COVER LETTER, REFERENCES, & specify the job you are applying to:
Mel & Kyle Forrest Burns.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org