Website Carnation Farms
Carnation Farms is a certified organic, mixed vegetable farm with a large livestock program. We certify over 600 acres organic on our 818-acre property. The Farm Manager manages the 15-acre vegetable production farm and distribution, soil health, the CSA, Farmers Markets, and wholesale. The manager maintains the organic integrity of the vegetable production in tandem with the Livestock Manager. The Farm Manager hires, trains, manages, and works alongside the farm team. The Farm Manager inherits a productive and functional vegetable operation, including a successful crop and distribution plan.
The Farm Manager provides on-site management for the field production and farm crew, and supervises, plans, schedules, and participates in all aspects of farm operations: seeding, greenhouse management, cultivation and field prep, transplanting, weed and pest management, harvesting and post-harvest. This includes invoicing and monthly reports on sales.
- Responsible for planning, production, maintenance of vegetables, herbs, berries and flowers
Field cultivation, crop management, soil health, fertility, weed management, crop rotation
- High tunnel production for warm season crops and some winter production
- Plan and implement crop production for all sales revenues (Plant Sale, CSA, Farmers Markets, Wholesale, Farm Stand and Culinary program).
- Creates daily pick lists, weeding and irrigation schedules.
- Manages CSA registrations, newsletters and distribution
- Responsible for record keeping to maintain organic certification for crops.
- Hires, trains, supervises, mentors and evaluates seasonal field staff, including farmer-in-training participants
- 3+ years of vegetable production and farm management experience on a similar scale
- Prior experience working with non-profit organization
- Fluent computer skills – data entry, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation
Vegetable crop production, sales and distribution
Tractor experience and knowledge in using various implements Leadership and organizational skills
Excellent communication skills and problem-solving ability
Farmers’ market, CSA and wholesale experience
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) skills; share and accept feedback in a team environment, share farm updates on weekly newsletter for CSA members
- Attention to detail, experience building efficient systems, and record keeping
- Excellent work ethic and physical endurance in all weather conditions
- Positive attitude and flexible thinking
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion
- Have basic skills, general “fix it” know how, and is familiar with basic tools
- Valid driver’s license and comfort driving farm vehicles
· Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in agriculture, food systems or education
Working Conditions: (percentages are approximations)
· 70% in participation in sustainable Ag activities
· 30% in office and computer work
· Able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 50 lbs.
· Time standing, bending, reaching, walking and sitting based on job requirements.
· Able to operate heavy machinery, tractors, hook up implements, field cultivation
· Salary range: $60-65K
· Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, 401K match and more!
· Fresh air, vegetables, eggs and working with an amazing team with fantastic views.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com