Website Conscious Kitchen
Conscious Kitchen, a program of Turning Green, is working with West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) on a Farm to School program. This focused effort supports the district in transforming their school food supply chain to prioritize fresh, local, organic products, increasing enrollment through new menus and programming, and expanding farm to school education and leadership opportunities with a cohort of Conscious Kitchen Ambassadors across multiple WCCUSD schools. Ambassadors have typically been 4th-6th grade students, and we are expanding to include middle and high school students.
We seek an Education Coordinator to assist Conscious Kitchen and WCCUSD to coordinate and facilitate the Conscious Kitchen Ambassador program.
● Lead and expand the Conscious Kitchen Student Ambassador programming, which provides training sessions to empower youth advocates to drive food systems change in and outside of the dining hall
● Coordinate schedules for Conscious Kitchen Ambassador learning sessions, as well as the support team of lead teachers, interns and fellows, and district stakeholders
● Assist in organizing special events and special guest visits
● Oversee and administer reports for grant-awarded farm to school educational programming that supports food systems change the district is undertaking
● Further develop curriculum and co-teach lessons/activities related to aligned food system topics
● Work collaboratively with a range of constituents and community partners to facilitate program needs
● Mentor and guide Turning Green interns assigned to support farm to school projects
● Craft written and visual communications materials about the work being conducted
One of the primary ways Conscious Kitchen engages youth is through our Conscious Kitchen Ambassador program that leverages students’ desire to help with meal service and gain transferable knowledge and skills. Lessons taught by our team, experts, and college-aged Next Generation Food Systems leaders include tastings and a range of hands-on activities at school sites, including culinary classes, menu and product taste testing while also providing feedback to the district food service team.
This role will include collaboration with teachers at school sites. All programming will link back to the groundbreaking district-wide efforts to improve their meal program.
The Education Coordinator will work closely with Conscious Kitchen’s Executive Director and team, as well as school district team members to support Conscious Kitchen’s work across districts. The applicant will need to be highly organized, able to manage multiple priorities, work well with students and school district professionals, and collaborate well with food service directors and other team members to engage students in food systems education. Applicant must be local to the Bay Area and will work at various school sites across WCCUSD, headquartered in Richmond, CA and other districts in and around the Bay Area. Applicant will be able to work independently, both in person and off-site.
● Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in agriculture, environmental studies, food systems, nutrition, public health or other related field
● 1-2 years professional experience working directly with elementary and middle school youth on educational and/or advocacy projects
● Interest in expanding the use of fresh, local, organic food for schools and engaging students through farm to school activities
● Demonstrated experience in managing strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
● Highly organized and able to manage priorities, deadlines and interrelated projects simultaneously
● Well versed in Google Workspace and Microsoft Suite of products
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively, in an inclusive, supportive team community
● Has valid driver’s license and access to a car
● Interest in building a healthy, just, resilient future for people and planet
Anticipated Start Date: Looking for a qualified candidate to start immediately
Compensation & Benefits: Salary range for this position is $55,000 to $65,000, commensurate with experience. We offer a benefits package with healthcare, vacation and personal days, national holidays, professional development, and more. This role requires full status to work in the US and willingness to provide employment verification as required.
Qualified applicants should fill out the CK Education Coordinator Application in its entirety. Please email us with questions and include subject: “CK Education Coordinator.” Thank you for your interest. We look forward to reviewing your application.
To apply for this job please visit rvvqmhtgar.formstack.com.