MARIN AGRICUTURAL LAND TRUST (MALT)
As a pioneering agricultural land trust, MALT operates at the intersection of agriculture and conservation. Our mission is to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. And our commitment is to the long-term health of the land itself, as well as to the farmers and ranchers who work on the land.
We invite you to join the MALT team—a dynamic and passionate staff who care deeply about our mission and one another.
We offer competitive salaries; paid vacation and sick time; health, life, dental, and vision insurance; retirement benefits; family-friendly policies, and a commitment to honoring work/life balance.
This position is responsible for managing and closing complex conservation real estate transactions that protect Marin County agricultural land for agricultural use, including agricultural conservation easements.
Working under the direction of the Director of Conservation, this position helps to implement MALT’s real estate acquisition transactions and acts as a liaison between MALT’s acquisition team, agricultural property owners, and funding partners. This individual is a member of MALT’s Conservation Team.
You are passionate about land conservation and have experience negotiating and closing complex conservation real estate transactions and obtaining and managing federal, state and local conservation easement grants or comparable education and experience to accomplish the key functions. You are familiar with California agriculture, rangeland management, agricultural land access and other agricultural conservation issues.
Additionally, you will have:
- Knowledge of California real estate, land use and conservation law, and current real estate tools used in agricultural conservation. Legal experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with California agriculture, range-land management, agricultural land access and other agricultural conservation issues.
- Outstanding project management and analytical skills with the ability to work. independently on multiple complex projects.
- The ability to build community relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively to build MALT’s relationships with Marin’s agricultural community and MALT’s broad constituency.
- A systems thinking approach and can identify people, resources and solutions to get work done
- Results oriented
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Real Estate Acquisitions
- Develop, manage and close MALT’s real estate transactions with responsibility to work with the Director of Conservation and Conservation Team to:
- Manage landowner inquiries and applications.
- Evaluate whether potential real estate transactions met MALT’s selection criteria, comply with MALT’s acquisition policy, and advance MALT’s strategic goals.
- Identify and secure federal, state, and local funding for conservation acquisition projects.
- Complete project due diligence, including review of preliminary title reports, environmental assessments, and appraisals.
- Draft conservation real estate documents, including conservation easements, for review by legal counsel
- Coordinate the escrow and closing of real estate transactions.
- Ensure that all real estate transactions comply with MALT policies, grant funder requirements, and the Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices.
- Prepare and make presentations to the MALT Stewardship Committee and Board of Directors.
- Oversee post-closing records management pursuant to MALT’s record management policies and procedures.
- Assist the Conservation Team with inquires regarding closed real estate transactions, including permitted use requests and easement compliance issues.
Community Outreach and Engagement
- Respond to and document inquiries from the public, partners and landowners regarding MALT’s real estate acquisition program.
- Advise agricultural landowners about MALT’s agricultural conservation tools and stewardship programs.
- Work with MALT’s Advancement Team to produce communications and events about MALT’s real estate acquisition work.
- Represent MALT through speaking engagements and presentations (e.g. LTA Rally, CCLT conferences, MALT events, etc.)
Administrative and Strategic Initiatives
- Participate in Conservation Team meetings, staff meetings and regular meetings with the Director of Conservation and Conservation Teams.
- Assist the Director of Conservation and Conservation Team in developing and implementing the real estate acquisition portion of MALT’s annual operating plan and budget.
- Under the direction of the Director of Conservation, work with the Conservation Team to implement the strategic initiatives identified in MALT’s strategic and annual operating plans.
This is a full-time exempt position that will require some presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station, the West Marin community and some in-person collaboration with stakeholder groups including agriculturalists, partners, and community members.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. MALT is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. We are a team that works together to achieve our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust is a nonprofit land trust created in 1980 by a coalition of ranchers and environmentalists to permanently protect Marin County farmland. Some of the Bay Area’s most highly acclaimed dairy and cheese products, grass-fed meats and organic crops are produced on farmland protected by MALT’s 91 agricultural conservation easements. MALT has permanently protected over 54,000 acres of West Marin’s diverse mosaic of coastal grasslands, oak woodlands, rangelands and pastoral open space. MALT is committed to supporting sustainable management, climate-beneficial and regenerative agriculture in Marin County, including farming and grazing practices that rebuild soil organic matter and improve soil biodiversity to draw down carbon and improve the water cycle.
To apply for this job please visit www.fitzii.com.