Website Mountain Bounty Farm
Farm Crew Leader
Mountain Bounty Farm, Nevada City CA
Mountain Bounty Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located high on the forested contours of the San Juan Ridge near Nevada City, California. Our main fields are on Birchville Road, where we currently cultivate 18 acres. The rest of the land is a beautiful mosaic of forest and meadows. We are the oldest and largest CSA farm in the Sierras. Our produce is sold through our 700-800 member CSA, local restaurants and grocery stores, and the Nevada City Farmers Market. Founded in 1997 by John Tecklin, Mountain Bounty Farm has become an increasingly collaborative effort. The farm is now managed by a team of experienced employees, who collectively make decisions and work together to keep the farm growing and improving into the future.
The Crew Leader is responsible for leading the daily farm tasks on non-harvest days, as well as supporting the other farm managers and filling in for them as needed. This includes leading meetings, organizing and prioritizing tasks and motivating the crew. The ability to keep the team organized and moving efficiently is critical to the success of our operation. The crew leader works alongside the crew for harvest and pack (which is led by the Harvest Manager), planting, weeding, and all other farm tasks.
- Facilitate morning meetings and weekly planning meetings
- Lead the 10-15 person farm crew on non-harvest days, usually 2 days a week
- Prioritize and execute planned tasks
- Constant communication with field managers and harvest manager about farm needs and workflow
- Responsible for tools and supplies. Restock materials and communicate with other farm managers when bigger items are needed
- HR leader, responsible for hiring all other positions in cooperation with farm owner and other managers.
- Hold individual check-ins with all crew members monthly to track and support performance, goals, and wellbeing.
- Filling in for harvest manager, field managers, and greenhouse manager as needed. This may mean occasional tractor work, irrigation, and greenhouse care
- 3 + years working on a commercial scale vegetable farm
- Previous significant leadership responsibilities on a commercial scale farm
- Ability to balance time management in self directed work and collaborative work, and to prioritize tasks efficiently
- Flexibility and a positive attitude
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Commitment to developing strong working relationships and problem solving with the rest of the team
- Ability to set a consistent example of fast and efficient farm work that others can strive to achieve
- Ability to bend, kneel, and lift frequently
47k+/year. $3500/Month starting salary, 3 weeks paid vacation per year, and bonuses of $5-10k/year. After one year this position is eligible for 401(k) and additional profit sharing, which builds significantly with seniority. We can provide assistance in finding affordable housing nearby.
HOW TO APPLY
After you have read this description in its entirety, please send us one email only to Maia Lipkin firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Subject line: Crew Leader Application, (your name)
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position
- Responses to the questionnaire below
- Three professional references, with current phone numbers
- Why are you interested in Mountain Bounty Farm?
- What previous experience are you bringing to this position and what do you feel you have to offer?
- What are your short-term and long-term personal goals related to farming?
- Please describe your experience managing or leading a farm crew.
- Do you have experience operating farm machinery or other heavy equipment?
- Do you have mechanical or carpentry skills or experience? Please describe
- Do you have any prior injuries to back, knees, etc. that might limit your ability to do farm work?
- Please tell us something interesting about yourself (hobbies, obsessions, talents, etc.)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com