Website Mountain Bounty Farm
Farm Manager: Tractor and Irrigation Specialist
Mountain Bounty Farm, Nevada City CA
Mountain Bounty Farm is a 50 acre organic farm located high on the forested contours of the San Juan Ridge near Nevada City, California. Our main fields are on Birchville Road, where we currently cultivate 18 acres. The rest of the land is a beautiful mosaic of forest and meadows. We are the oldest and largest CSA farm in the Sierras. Our produce is sold through our 700-800 member CSA, local restaurants and grocery stores, and the Nevada City Farmers Market. Founded in 1997 by John Tecklin, Mountain Bounty Farm has become an increasingly collaborative effort. The farm is now managed by a team of experienced employees, who collectively make decisions and work together to keep the farm growing and improving into the future.
The Tractor and Irrigation specialist will join our dynamic farm management team with a primary focus on tractor work and drip irrigation. T&I is responsible for the list of responsibilities below, as well as supporting the other farm managers and filling in for them as needed. The ability to organize and complete fieldwork efficiently is critical to the success of our operation. In addition to these duties, when time allows, T&I works alongside the crew for harvest and pack (which is led by the Harvest Manager), planting, weeding, and all other farm tasks. Training and mentoring will be provided!
- Field prep. All tractor work, including mowing, spreading soil amendments, and tillage in preparation for planting.
- Studying and understanding our crop plan and advocating for timely field prep strategy.
- Collecting soil samples and interpreting soil test results, together with other experienced team members.
- Making a soil amendment plan, and keeping records of all applications for organic certification
- Pest management. Timely pest monitoring and spraying organic materials.
- Constant communication with field manager and crew leaders about farm needs and workflow.
- Responsible for tractor and implement care, cleaning, and maintenance.
- Oversee drip irrigation system design, installation, monitoring, and maintenance
- Constant checking drip system performance as it affects crop growth.
- Constant setup, checking, and maintenance of well and pond sourced pump systems, filters, timers, and mainlines.
- Supervise and train other tractor operators during busy field prep season and at other needed times.
- Complete and/or outsource needed mechanical repairs ASAP.
- Filling in for other managers as needed. This may mean taking on a variety of duties including overhead irrigation, crew supervision, leading meetings, leading harvest, and greenhouse care.
- 3 + years working on a commercial scale vegetable farm
- Ability to balance time management in self directed work and collaborative work, and to prioritize tasks efficiently
- Flexibility and a positive attitude
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Commitment to developing strong working relationships and problem solving with the rest of the team
- Ability to set a consistent example of fast and efficient farm work that others can strive to achieve
- Ability to bend, kneel, and lift frequently
- Experience operating tractors and farm implements safely and efficiently. Ability to switch large heavy implements on tractors up to 90hp.
- Mechanical aptitude and interest, and the willingness to turn a wrench when the need arises. This includes at least basic understanding of diesel engines, hydraulics, electrical systems, water pumps, and more.
- Construction/Carpentry skills are a bonus
47k+/year. $3500/Month starting salary, 3 weeks paid vacation per year, and bonuses of $5k minimum-10k maximum/year. After one year this position is eligible for 401(k) and additional profit sharing, which builds significantly with seniority. This is a full time year-round position with an average 40 hour work week, 35 hrs in early and late season, and up to 45 hrs/week during May-September, with the option to take additional unpaid time off during January and February. We can provide assistance in finding affordable housing nearby.
HOW TO APPLY
After you have read this description in its entirety, please send us one email only to Maia Lipkin firstname.lastname@example.org with:
Subject line: Tractor and Irrigation specialist Application, (your name)
Cover letter detailing your interest in the position
Responses to the questionnaire below
Three professional references, with current phone numbers
- Why are you interested in Mountain Bounty Farm and what do you feel you have to offer?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals related to farming?
- Please describe your skills in the following areas: tractor and farm equipment, farm irrigation systems, plumbing, electrical.
- Please describe your mechanical and/or carpentry skills.
- Do you have any prior injuries to back, knees, etc. that might limit your ability to do farm work?
- Please tell us something interesting about yourself (hobbies, obsessions, talents, etc.)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com