Website Pesticide Action Network
Pesticide Action Network (PAN) is seeking a passionate, pragmatic, and innovative Communications Director. The ideal candidate is deeply rooted in the discipline of strategic communications for social change, has a flair for crafting compelling narratives to mobilize target audiences, and is well-versed in online organizing best practices. The Communications Director supervises and collaborates closely with a small and mighty team that includes the Communications Manager and Digital Production Manager. They are responsible for cultivating the organizational “voice,” developing message platforms, and ensuring consistency across all branded materials and channels. Additionally, the Communication Director oversees the creation and implementation of digital engagement and online fundraising strategies, and collaborates with staff across the organization as part of the program leadership team.
We’re looking for an experienced communications strategist with exceptional writing skills and a deep understanding of and commitment to PAN’s mission to transform the food and farming system. Personal or professional knowledge of relevant social and environmental justice issues like pesticide policy, genetic engineering, and sustainable agriculture are highly desirable. Self-direction, flexibility and a collaborative approach are also key, as is a sense of humor.
This is a full time position (36 hours/week) with remote work possible. PAN is a registered employer in California, Washington, North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Florida, and this position can be based in any of these states.
PAN North America works to create a just, thriving food system, working with those on the frontlines — farmers, farmworkers, families with young children, Native people and rural communities — to tackle the health, economic and environmental problems created by our industrialized system of food and farming. We are part of a global network that works to reclaim the future of food and farming from corporate interests. Learn more about PAN’s mission here.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
The Communications Director collaborates closely with other members of the Communications Team and staff across the organization. Primary areas of responsibility for this role include:
- Leading the Communications Team, including setting team meetings and agendas, supervising staff, and managing the department budget.
- Driving the creation, implementation and evaluation of the annual strategic communications plan to maximize the organization’s impact and reach.
- Supervising the creation and implementation of digital engagement strategies through PAN’s online channels, including our advocacy email list, social media, traditional media, and websites.
- With other members of the program leadership team, supporting strategic planning, fundraising, board engagement and capacity building across the organization.
- Collaborating with fundraising staff to drive online fundraising strategies, implementation and evaluation.
- Working with partners to strengthen shared campaigns and build the larger food and agricultural justice movements.
- Crafting values-based, audience-specific messaging & talking points in support of specific advocacy campaigns.
- Drafting compelling action alerts, press releases, fundraising appeals, blogs, website content and campaign resources.
- Ensuring that voice and messaging is consistent across external communications. This includes being an expert “vetter,” copy editor and writing coach for others on staff.
Required qualifications include:
- 3+ years of demonstrated success as a communications leader, including deep understanding of the role strategic communications plays in achieving policy changes and political wins.
- Experience supervising staff, leading a team and managing a department budget.
- Proven experience with audience research and message development to mobilize civic engagement.
- Exceptional writing, editing, verbal and analytical skills.
- Experiencing measuring the impact and success of communications strategies via metrics and online analytical tools.
- Experience with advocacy tools like Action Network, donation platforms like ActBlue, and website platforms like WordPress. Familiarity with Salesforce and Smartsheet is a plus, as is familiarity with Google Apps and HTML.
Top candidates will have a deep commitment to social justice, anti-oppression work, equity and inclusion, with political savvy and passion around these issues.
The starting salary range for this position is $76,000-$80,500, depending upon qualifications, experience and location. PAN offers an extensive benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, vacation and sick leave, and flexible scheduling.
PAN has staff from across a spectrum of racial, class and gender identities, and is committed to a culture of inclusion and anti-oppression within our organization and our work. We are seeking applicants from a wide variety of ethnic, racial and social backgrounds for this position. People of color, people with roots in the Global South, people of diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and those from frontline and directly impacted communities are especially encouraged to apply. PAN does not discriminate against applicants or employees for reasons of race, color, disability, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, genetic information, marital status, prior convictions, incarceration or age.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two brief writing samples in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name in the subject line and use the following format: “[Your Name]: PAN Communications Director Search.” Your cover letter should (1) describe how your skills and experience align with the position and (2) your passion for PAN North America’s mission, vision, and values. Applications without a cover letter and writing samples will not be considered.
Close date for applications: August 18, 2023. Earlier applicants may receive priority consideration, as we will review applications on a rolling basis. Ideally, the new Communications Director will begin in October 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com