Website Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County
Protecting, conserving, and restoring natural resources
The Resource Conservation District (RCD) of Greater San Diego County aims to protect, conserve, and restore natural resources through information, education, and technical assistance. We work across the majority of San Diego County on a variety of programs, including fire prevention and education, watershed education, school garden support, promotion of pollinator habitat, management of two large community gardens and a regenerative farm.
Through its Carbon Farming Program, the RCD supports farmers and ranchers to implement climate-smart agricultural practices, monitor the benefits of conservation practices, and coordinate with regional stakeholders to expand program outcomes. The RCD has received support to provide technical guidance and grant application assistance to the San Diego agricultural community from the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), among others.
We are seeking an Agricultural Technical Assistant who is passionate about agriculture and conservation, to conduct field visits with farmers, ranchers, and land managers to connect them with resources and programs that improve soil health, pollinator habitat, water efficiency, and general production.
• Conduct field visits at farms and ranches in San Diego County to help assess needs and share resources for increasing on-site conservation of natural resources
• Collect soil samples at farms and ranches in San Diego County to establish a baseline from which land management practices can help improve soil health
• Assess eligibility of agricultural producers for grant and relief funding opportunities, and communicate producer needs to outreach and technical staff
• Manage database of agricultural producer contacts, needs, environmental conditions and services provided
• Support the Agricultural Department with other Carbon Farming Program tasks as needed
• Desire to embrace the mission of the RCD to protect and conserve natural resources.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and perform physical tasks required for maintenance and monitoring of the Demonstration Site.
• Be in possession of a current California’s Driver’s License and auto insurance, as well as reliable transportation and experience in first aid.
• Ability to work independently in an outdoor setting during various weather conditions.
• Detail-oriented and experience with data management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Agricultural training/experience including compost management, irrigation system efficiency, vegetable and fruit tree care, natural pest management practices, and/or livestock management
• A practical understanding of:
o Principles and practices of sustainable agriculture, including principles of soil health water conservation, and integrated pest management.
o Common farm equipment, including tractors, tillage implements, mowers, seeders, etc.
o Irrigation system set-up, repair, and scheduling.
• Experience with public outreach, community engagement, and communications to a variety of audiences.
• Spanish fluency or proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits
• Full-time position
• After successful completion of a 90-day probationary period:
o Health insurance compensation in lieu of health insurance plan
o Participation in RCD 457 retirement plan
o Phone stipend of $50 per month
o Ten paid holidays and thirteen days of paid time off (PTO) in your first year of service, rising to eighteen days after the first year
Start date: September 2022
Schedule and location: Working hours are generally flexible within normal business hours (between 8AM – 5PM), with occasional events outside of normal working hours. Work is partially remote, with field visits to farms and ranches at least three days per week and office meetings at least one day per week. The main RCD office is located in Lakeside. Field visits occur throughout San Diego County.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for this position to Joel Kramer, Agricultural Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Agricultural Technical Assistant” in the subject line by Wednesday, August 17, 2022. For additional information, please contact the RCD by phone at (619) 562 – 0096 or visit our website at http://www.rcdsandiego.org.
The RCD is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com