Website Rhizome Urban Gardens
Rhizome Urban Gardens is a local business that designs, installs, and maintains organic, permaculture-based gardens, indoor green spaces, and landscapes in San Francisco. We are horticulturalists and plant nerds, excited to be leading the movement toward creating more sustainable landscaping in urban areas. We seek to help people better connect with our natural ecosystems and with the food we eat, while creating spaces that are beautiful and functional.
Rhizome Urban Gardens has a flexible, part-time hybrid position available for a gardener/administrative assistant. We are looking for someone with knowledge of SF gardens and landscapes to work a few days a week in the gardens, as well as a day or two per week in the office. Some remote work is possible after training. A business management or design position may be available in the future for the right person. Full-time position available after training.
You would have a number of gardens that you work with regularly over time, so you would get to know them well, and there is space for creativity and long-term design contribution.
Ideal candidates possess:
- Commitment to being a reliable and punctual member of a small team.
- Understanding the importance of taking care of the team.
- Ability to perform physically strenuous work. Should be capable of lifting 50 lbs., able to bend, squat and climb ladders.
- Knowledge of plants and a passion to always continue learning.
- Experience in proper planting and care for a variety of plants.
- Proper pruning and weeding technique.
- Experience with administrative / office work
- Excellent problem solving, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented perspective and accuracy with numbers.
- Great communication skills with clients and staff.
- Ability to work efficiently independently.
- Ability to use or willingness to learn the following programs: Excel, Wix, Evernote, Word, Sheets, Quickbooks. Smartphone required for the apps we use.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently with attention to detail.
- Self-motivation and strong work ethic.
- Ability to have fun and be fun to work with. We’re looking for friendly and positive coworkers who will help maintain a positive work environment.
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends is preferred (but not necessarily mandatory except for occasional admin tasks).
- Have vehicle.
- Minimum one-year commitment.
- Gardening work includes:
Planting, weeding, watering, pruning, digging and amending soil, adjusting irrigation, diagnosing diseased plants, assisting in design, job site management, clean-up, and record-keeping. Work can be strenuous and candidates should be prepared for digging and amending soil, heavy lifting, and hauling bags of soil and rocks.
Administrative work includes:
Creating and maintaining efficient systems for scheduling, payroll, and invoicing, communications between workers and clients regarding scheduling and client needs, organizing receipts and tracking expenditures, responding to new client inquiries, troubleshooting day-to-day issues that come up on sites, research on a variety of topics, purchasing materials and coordinating wholesale orders, posting job openings and screening applicants, updating the website, keeping tools and materials in good condition and well-organized, some office plant care, and possibly some QuickBooks.
Competitive starting pay plus benefits and profit sharing/vesting. We offer regular increases based on job performance, responsibilities, skills, and company profitability. Additional opportunities available for applicants with professional skills in carpentry, irrigation, stonework, and other relevant fields.
We embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
There is also a position available for an Experienced Garden Specialist, with more details at https://www.rhizomegardens.com/jobs.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org