Website Sonoma Mountain Institute
Sonoma Mountain Institute manages public and private land for individuals, governmental organizations and nonprofits across Sonoma and Marin County. Our team of land managers, stewards, and scientists focuses on managed herbivory as our most effective tool to restore the health of the grasslands and savannas in our bioregion. We plan our grazing, monitor its effect both in real time and through over 100 monitoring points across our ranches, and constantly adapt based on changing conditions. This scientifically based, boots on the ground approach to adaptive management is our strategy to try and increase biodiversity across the land we manage.
Seeking a hard-working, team-oriented, problem solver to join our team of grazing and cattle managers with a focus on infrastructure maintenance and construction. The ranch infrastructure position is focused on managing multiple ranch maintenance and repair projects across the portfolio of ranches we manage. The types of tasks include but are not limited to: fence work, plumbing and water system work, mechanical and equipment operation. While the focus will be on ranch infrastructure and construction, and related project management, there will be the opportunity to work with the animals from time to time. This job requires someone that likes to work outside in big beautiful landscapes, is self directed, can prioritize and project manage well, and is also a good human.
- Being an important and supportive part of a team that is stewarding the ecology of landscapes
- Regularly thinking about all infrastructure in our system across our ranches and shifting priority and focus to make sure we are addressing the next weak link in our system
- Managing maintenance and equipment schedules and depreciation on vehicles, equipment, and tools
- Ensuring water systems and water points are functionally correct to provide sufficient water to the animals at all times
- Building and repairing barbed wire and electric fence in remote locations
- Grading and roadwork
- Building repair and maintenance
- Problem solver with the ability to overcome obstacles
- Desire to be part of a great team: that gets along and focuses on solutions rather than problems, that is focused on regenerating grasslands and working with cattle using low stress livestock techniques
- 2 – 5 years experience in the trades
- Plumbing and carpentry skills
- Thorough fence building experience
- Safe driving with trailers and tying down loads
- Equipment operation not required but a plus
Competitive industry salary and benefits package commensurate with experience
Please send a CV with which position you are applying for and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position. Applications accepted until July 15th, 2022, however the earlier submitted the better.
To apply for this job email your details to Byron@groundedgrasslands.com