Website valleyverde Valley Verde
Plant , eat , share | Urban Agriculture Nonprofit
Valley Verde is an urban agriculture nonprofit in San Jose, CA that helps underserved families in Santa Clara county access healthy, nutritious, culturally-relevant foods by building gardens in their own homes. The Deep Roots & Compost Coordinator will support the development of monthly advanced gardening educational workshops for our Deep Roots program, develop curriculum for our Composting program, maintain our on-site community compost hub, and build community partnerships.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential job functions: With support from the Shared Garden and Deep Roots Program Manager, assist with program organization, implementing Deep Roots and Composting programs and assist with tracking all program data.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Travel throughout Santa Clara County to facilitate monthly organic gardening and composting workshops for participants of the Deep Roots Program, Composting Program and for the Shared Garden Program when needed
- Communicate via email, phone calls, text messages, or in person, on a monthly basis with participants regarding workshops, attendance, and upcoming events
- Collect and enter data monthly for participant attendance, home visits, and check-ins
- Schedule and conduct monthly check-ins, and quarterly garden visits with participants
- Create and upload training videos to online learning platforms, as needed
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, review and update curriculum, lesson plans, and programming
- Troubleshoot garden issues including diseases and pests using organic methods
- Organize and assist with the distribution of garden materials (heavy lifting, 30-40 lb bags)
- Assist with Planting Weeks and any other program events
- Represent Valley Verde and develop partnerships within the community
- In coordination with the Shared Garden Program Manager, recruit and enroll program participants, volunteers and interns in the Deep Roots and Compost program
- Coordinate food scrap drop off on site
- Collect and enter data for the composting program
- Manage the compost pile and distribution of compost
- Assist customers with sales of seedlings at the site
- Create factsheets, recruitment and workshop materials
- Create Social Media content for the programs
- Other duties as assigned by Shared Garden and Deep Roots Program Manager
Education & Experience:
- Must have regular/reliable access to a vehicle with appropriate insurance for transportation
- Must be detail oriented and accurately report program attendance and other participant statistics
- Experience working in a multiethnic community environment
- Ability to develop professional relationships with program participants regardless of language barriers, cultural differences, or physical/mental abilities
- Must be extremely organized and have the ability to prioritize projects to meet deadlines consistently
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively in a team, show creativity, and ability to initiate and complete projects with limited supervision
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese required
- At least 1 year of teaching or group facilitation preferred
- At least 1 year of experience growing organic vegetables and urban gardening preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Excellent computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite, Mailchimp, and Canva
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, lift, bend, and twist to complete garden projects and activities
- Experience operating power tools, building, and assembling irrigation systems is a plus
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Community Development, or Education strongly preferred.
- Master Gardener’s certification is strongly preferred.
- Other related coursework or experience can be substituted.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for considering this opportunity!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com