Website West County Community Farm
Community supported vegetable, flower, and culinary herb farm
West County Community Farm is a diversified farm minutes from downtown Sebastopol, CA. We use regenerative practices to grow 8 acres of vegetables, flowers, culinary herbs, and strawberries primarily for our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. All CSA members pick up their produce onsite weekly and enjoy u-pick crops including a strawberry patch and an extensive culinary herb and cut flower garden.
We are interviewing for either an Assistant Production Manager (someone with but strong interest but slightly less experience with farm machinery) or, a Production Manager, (someone with significant experience using tractors and field production implements to grow vegetables) to start this winter or early Spring 2024.
Both are dynamic positions for a skilled farmer who will lead the execution of our annual crop plan of 8 acres of diversified vegetables, cut flowers, culinary herbs and strawberries.
- Maintain a broad awareness of seasonal and weekly field planting goals & milestones
- Tractor work, including preparing fields from cover crop to finished beds as well as the standard maintenance of tractors and equipment
- Lead the crew in weekly production tasks like transplanting and cultivation
- Train new hires in field production tasks like transplanting and weeding
- Manage irrigation schedules as well as irrigation system set-up, repairs, and maintenance
- Help create the weekly schedule for the crew in collaboration with the other farm managers
- Maintain the cleanliness of production work zones, tools & equipment
- Participate in harvest (likely 3 half-days a week of harvesting from June – November, sometimes more during big harvest pushes)
- Fill in for other roles as needed if we are short staffed (running CSA pick-ups, wash-pack, greenhouse watering, etc.)
- Model a productive, professional, and supportive team environment
Experience & Qualifications
- Applicants should to have a minimum of 4 years experience in production vegetable farming (including at least 2 years of managerial experience)
- Applicants should have a strong mechanical aptitude and experience operating tractors and farm implements
- Experience growing a broad spectrum of vegetable crops
- Proven leadership and communication skills
- Experience managing irrigation schedules as well as building and maintaining irrigation systems
- The ability to multi-task and to juggle competing priorities
- The ability to be flexible and fill in where needed
- The ability to make a one-year minimum commitment with a strong interest in longer term employment
Schedule & Compensation
- Assistant Production Manager: $22-$24/hr DOE | Production Manager: $24-$28/hr DOE
- 30-40 hours/week from January through March and 40-45 hours/week from April through November (sometimes more as needed in emergencies)
- 2 weeks paid vacation with the opportunity for more time off January – March
- CSA share and access to unlimited vegetables
Please visit our website to learn more about the farm and this position. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume with at least two recent farm-work references to: email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org