Website West County Community Farm
Community supported vegetable, flower, and culinary herb farm
We are seeking a motivated and skilled individual to lead our field crop production. This person will work closely with the farm owners to lead the execution of our crop plan of 5 acres of diversified vegetables, cut flowers, culinary herbs and strawberries. Responsibilities will range from tractor work to managing a small crew. This person will be supervised by the farm owner and trained to be independent in this role.
- Maintain a broad awareness of farm activities with an emphasis on seasonal and weekly field production goals & milestones
- Model a productive, professional, supportive, and fun team environment
- Tractor work, including preparing fields from cover crop to finished beds as well as the maintenance and light repairs of tractors and equipment
- Lead the crew in weekly production tasks like transplanting and cultivation
- Train new hires in field production tasks like transplanting and weeding
- Manage the irrigation schedule as well as irrigation system set-up, repairs and maintenance
- Create and implement a weekly schedule in collaboration with harvest & propagation managers
- Maintain the cleanliness of fields, work zones & production tools
- Participate in harvest (likely 3 half-days a week of harvesting from June – November, sometimes more)
- Fill in for other roles as needed (field work, running CSA pick-ups, wash-pack, greenhouse watering, etc.)
Experience & Qualifications
- Applicants should to have a minimum of 5 years experience in production vegetable farming (including at least 2 years of managerial experience)
- Strong mechanical aptitude and familiarity with tractors, general construction and plumbing
- Proven leadership and communication skills
- Familiarity with various irrigation systems
- The ability to multi-task and to juggle competing priorities
- Familiarity with a broad spectrum of crops and horticultural techniques
- The ability to be flexible and fill in where needed
- The ability to make a one-year minimum commitment with a strong interest in long term employment
Schedule & Compensation
- $24 – $28/hr DOE
- 30-40 hours/week from January through March and 40-50 hours/week from April through November
- 2 weeks paid vacation with the opportunity for more time off in the winter
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume with at least two references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Onsite housing is not available at this time but we can tap our network to help the right candidate find housing. Applicants must have access to reliable transportation. An in-person interview is required. We hire people that can commit to the full season. Positions can be competitive, so folks applying from far away ideally already have plans to relocate to Sonoma County. All positions include paid sick leave and worker’s comp insurance. We cannot accommodate dogs on the farm at this time.
About West County Community Farm
West County Community Farm is a diversified farm just minutes from downtown Sebastopol, CA. We use regenerative practices to grow 5 acres of vegetables, flowers, culinary herbs, and strawberries primarily for our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. All CSA members pick up their produce onsite weekly and enjoy u-pick crops including a strawberry patch and an extensive culinary herb and cut flower garden. Our CSA community is strong and visiting the farm is a beloved weekly ritual for many local folks.
Our crew is the heart and soul of the farm. Our crews are small (usually 3-5 full time employees) so all crew members, including managers, participate in all aspects of crop production from seed to harvest. Managers usually spend half their time overseeing / leading in their specific arena and the other half lending a hand where needed. We work to foster a fun, supportive, and productive work environment with opportunities for growth into roles that suit people’s strengths and interests. The work is often strenuous and the days are hot but our fun loving team and the diversity of farm and tasks make days fly by. We hire team-oriented people with a strong work ethic and positive attitude who are passionate about this work.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com