Title: Administrative and Systems Specialist
Location: Partially-Remote: Hybrid with at least weekly travel to Davis, CA
FTE: 1 FTE
Salary: $60,000 – $65,000 annually
Reports To: Operations Director
CAFF is a California-based membership organization that includes family farmers and other community members passionate about local food, farming, and the environment. As a farmer-serving organization, we recognize the historic and lasting inequities in the California food and farming system. We believe farmers of color, and other historically oppressed people, should have the opportunity to create and participate in a food and agriculture system that aligns with their needs, values, identities, knowledge systems, and communities. We commit to advancing racial, gender, and environmental justice in our larger systems, as well as in our own workplace. Currently our programming is focused in four areas: Farm to Market, Policy & Advocacy, Farmer Services, and Ecological Farming. To learn more about CAFF, our history, and our core values, visit https://www.caff.org/about.
The Specialist will provide administrative and technical support to the whole organization, building and maintaining online systems, database management, office organization, member and donor processing, and general tech management. CAFF is seeking a detail-oriented, tech-savvy team player with a knack for organization and a passion for local food and sustainable agriculture.
CAFF is seeking a key addition to our Administrative team to help oversee the many systems and technologies used behind-the-scenes that keep our dynamic and growing organization functioning efficiently. The Administrative and Systems Specialist should bring a passion for family farms and sustainable agriculture as well as the tech and organizational skills needed to create, operate and improve a variety of online systems. Working closely with both our Operations Director and our Director of Membership & Communications, this position will focus intimately on CAFF’s website, database, CRM, and other tech tools to manage our members and data, make our resources more accessible to farmers, and to streamline the user experience of both staff and our constituents. This position will also provide technical support for our annual conference, a hybrid virtual/in-person event.
Ideal candidates will be especially detail-oriented, technically savvy, well organized and enjoy problem solving and assisting their fellow staff members to help make this organization run as smoothly as possible all with the goal of serving CAFF’s mission as best we can.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
% Time — Description
65% — Database & Online Systems Admin
- Maintenance of online databases (Salesforce, ActionNetwork, CA Farm Directory, etc.)
- Membership and donor processing
- Prepare and track membership and donor metrics (membership retention, mailing success rates, reports for Board meetings, etc.)
- Information Technology (IT) and online systems troubleshooting for CAFF staff
- Integration of online systems and databases into website
- Maintenance of CAFF’s online jobs board
- Working with Communications Director and program staff to manage webpages
- Support backend management of CAFF’s California Family Farmer Emergency Fund
15% — California Small Farm Conference Technical Assistance
- Updating conference website, content, and program
- Management of virtual conference tech: Zoom, etc.
- Assisting speakers and other participants with any technical issues
10% — Office / Facilities Management
- Coordinate printed materials and mailings (including creation of mailing lists, purchase of printed materials, working with mailhouse or other vendor)
- Respond to general inquiries (from CAFF’s general emails, phone, website contact page) providing resources, contacts, or other information about CAFF
- Supports organization operations by purchasing office supplies & equipment and maintaining inventory records
- Processing bank deposits and preparing them for database entry
10% — General CAFF responsibilities
This person will be an important member of CAFF’s Administrative Team and work closely with all members of the organization on various projects.
- Participate in weekly CAFF staff meetings and annual retreat
- Participate and contribute to racial equity action planning discussions
- Participate in local grassroots engagement efforts, including outreach and relationship building with farmers in your local community
- Represent CAFF by participating in community activities and events as necessary
- Participate in other administrative tasks as needed
- Contributes to annual program strategy development
We know it’s impossible to convey every single task for a particular job in one job description. Our hope is that as we work together, and your role evolves over time, we can adjust your job description accordingly.
Educational and Work Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years experience working within an administrative and/or information technology role
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to handle competing demands and multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Extensive knowledge of information technologies and systems
- Strong tech and computer skills, including above average knowledge of Google Suite, Zoom, Wordpress, CRM, database maintenance, etc.
- Desired experience / Bonus points: Salesforce, Wordpress, Bilingual English-Spanish
- Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Requires a full range of physical mobility, such as bending, stooping, lifting, turning, carrying objects, and grasping.
CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds and from historically underserved communities to apply.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and sample of your work that you feel is relevant to this position with the subject line “Administrative and Systems Specialist” to email@example.com by May 26, 2023. Reference requests will be made further along in the application process.