Job Title: Spanish Language Small Farm Conference Contractor
Location: Preferably based in Central Valley or Central Coast
Contract amount: $15,000
Reports To: Director of Membership & Communications
Contract Duration: August 2021 – March 2022
The Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) is a California-based non-profit organization whose mission is to build sustainable food and farming systems through policy advocacy and on-the-ground programs that create more resilient family farms, communities and ecosystems. CAFF is a membership organization guided by a board of directors composed of family farmers and others passionate about food, farming and the environment. CAFF’s programs include Ecological Farming, Farm to Market, and Policy, providing technical assistance to smaller-scale farmers around the state with a commitment to promoting social justice and reaching farmers from disadvantaged communities. Our goals are to increase the economic viability of California family farmers and to connect communities with their local producers. Learn more about CAFF, including our newly updated values, at caff.org/about
The Spanish Language Small Farm Conference Contractor will assist CAFF in organizing, promoting and facilitating Spanish language content for the 34th annual Small Farm Conference taking place February 28 – March 3rd, 2022. Next year’s conference will be held as a hybrid event, primarily online, but with a few small in-person events. The Spanish language track will consist of one day of virtual workshops and videos exploring a variety of topics relevant to small-scale, spanish speaking farmers across California, as well as one small in-person event (COVID depending) for these farmers to gather.
Working closely with other conference staff, Contractor will be tasked with soliciting Spanish language program content, speakers, experts, panels, etc. for up to five virtual workshops on topics ranging from growing practices to sales strategies. Contractor will work closely with CAFF staff and conference organizers to incorporate spanish materials and promotion into the general conference program, promotions and evaluations.
A large portion of this contract will be outreach, building lasting relationships with groups and organizations already serving the spanish speaking farm community around California, and finding ways to reach and engage the spanish speaking farm community, inviting them to attend and looping them into CAFF’s ongoing services aimed at helping small farmers.
COVID-depending, CAFF intends to host multiple in-person get-togethers through California on the final day of the conference, including at least one for spanish speaking farmers. These in-person events are designed as casual mixers to network with fellow farmers and farm advocates, but may also include field days and/or other educational elements. Contractor will be tasked with organizing and promoting one of these in-person events.
This contract is specifically designed for just the 2022 Small Farm Conference, however the contractor may be invited to apply for a larger, longer-term position with CAFF tasked with growing not just the conference’s ongoing Spanish language track but also the organization’s Spanish language programs overall.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
|80||Outreach & Relationship Building
|100||Conference Program Development
|80||Develop spanish language videos
|60||In-Person Conference Networking event
|55||General Conference support
- High School, Associates, or Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years agricultural background: on-farm, advocacy, non-profit, support service, education, etc.
- Non-profit organization background
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Spanish-language fluency and experience working with Latinx/Spanish speaking communities
- Passion for sustainable agriculture, local food and family farms and a general understanding of related issues.
- Familiarity with at least most of the following technologies:
- WordPress or other website builders
- Google Suite: docs, sheets, forms, etc.
- Social media: facebook, instagram, etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills
- Basic event planning skills
- Ability to think strategically to develop and implement program goals and objectives
- Strong relationship builder, outgoing and eager to make connections and grow CAFF’s relationships and reach
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, as well as collaborate with others in a team setting
- Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously with occasional weekend and evening commitments
- Access to transportation to enable occasional travel. Must be able to provide a valid driver’s license and valid auto insurance.
- Video production skills a plus
- Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
- Requires a full range of physical mobility, such as bending, stooping, lifting, turning, carrying objects, and grasping.
CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds and from historically underserved communities to apply
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references with the subject line “Spanish Language Small Farm Conference Contractor” to email@example.com by August 24th