In this episode we visit Jacobs Farm / del Cabo in Watsonville, California. Larry Jacobs, one of the co-founders, tells us about the company history and relationship with growers in Mexico. We learn how food safety regulations for imported produce helped identify contamination from an unexpected source, the importance of keeping wells covered and maintained, and tips for developing an engaging employee food safety training program.
- Jacobs Farm / del Cabo website: https://www.jacobsfarmdelcabo.com/
- Jacobs Farm / del Cabo Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jacobsfarmdelcabo/
- CAFF’s Food Safety Templates (including a pre-harvest checklist and recordkeeping logs): https://caff.org/food-safety/food-safety-plan-templates/
- A summary of Farm Food Safety Audit Schemes from UC Small Farm Food Safety: https://ucsmallfarmfoodsafety.sf.ucdavis.edu/english/general-farm-food-safety/farm-food-safety-audit-schemes
- CAFF cost-share program for water testing: https://caff.org/food-safety-cost-share-program/