Website Alameda Point Collaborative
About Alameda Point Collaborative and Farm2Market
Alameda Point Collaborative (APC) is the largest supportive housing community in the county, working to end homelessness by providing housing and services to create communities where formerly homeless families and individuals can flourish. APC’s Farm2Market (F2M) is a diversified working urban farm and a social enterprise of Alameda Point Collaborative. The farm consists of 2-acres of vegetable crops, fruit orchards, beehives and perennial crops. We use our passion for community, food, and the environment to support APC residents as they move toward economic self-sufficiency and greater health and wellness. The farm employs APC residents through a job-training program, which uses the real work of farm production, marketing, sales and customer relations as key activities through which trainees can learn work readiness skills, understand workplace behaviors and practice personal and team accountability. We offer two 6-month On the Job Training (OJT) programs for adult residents and an 8-week program for youth residents (ages 13-17) in the summer. The farm also operates a CSA business to generate revenue for APC.
Who we are:
At APC, we believe we better meet our mission by recruiting, training, and retaining a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the community we serve. Individuals from all backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply. APC is currently engaged in an organization-wide Racial Equity review and strategic planning process, guided by an external team of experts, in collaboration with an internal working group that includes staff members from diverse backgrounds and job levels.
Who we are looking for:
As a member of the Employment Services team, the F2M Job Training Program Coordinator will work in collaboration with the F2M Manager and the F2M Assistant Manager to lead and supervise the crew of youth and adult resident on-the-job trainees, supervise volunteers, upkeep, and maintain the farm site, and managing the farm’s CSA business. While our team shares responsibilities across all these areas, the Job Training Program Coordinator will have a special focus on the success of the job training program.
We are seeking qualified candidates who identify with the descriptions below:
● Enthusiastic and skilled at creating supportive learning environments, teaching others in an outdoor setting
● Ability to communicate clearly and directly, and to adjust communication style to best fit different situations
● Ability to connect and build trust with our APC residents, as well as coworkers and partner organizations – this includes strong sensitivity to the challenges related to transitioning from homelessness to stable housing and employment, cultural competence and cultural humility
● Holds a strong interest and enthusiasm in farming- 1+ yrs previous farm and/or gardening experience required, willing to train qualified candidate
● Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and bring positive energy to the team while balancing multiple priorities and work projects
● Ability to think critically and adapt in a flexible environment, to anticipate needs, prioritize, and take appropriate actions
You will be expected to:
● On-The-Job (OJT) Training Program
○ Act as a supervisor for both adult and youth crew members, modeling and teaching farming tasks, leadership skills, professional behaviors and job accountability
○ Establish and maintain professional culture and community agreements with OJT employees and crew members
○ Communicate concerns, absences and crew needs to Farm2Market Manager for collaborative problem solving and follow-up
○ Coordinate with APC Workforce Development team to ensure interdepartmental communication
● Farm Stewardship
○ Share in the daily and annual upkeep of the farm – including planting, weeding, fertilizing, harvesting, watering, pest management, greenhouse care, infrastructure maintenance, etc
○ Supervise and guide crew members, volunteers and interns, as they help to complete farm tasks
○ Share responsibility for meeting production commitments for a 60 member CSA, regardless of the crew size or composition
● Community Engagement and Food Distribution
○ Lead OJT crew in weekly CSA packing and distribution to APC residents through door to door deliveries
○ Coordinate with FoodShift to receive and process donations for weekly APC resident distribution
○ Work in collaboration with the F2M Manager and Assistant Manager to further engage the APC resident community with the farm and offer opportunities for APC residents to access resources
Essential skill sets and minimum qualifications:
● Must be able to perform physical labor related to farm production activities – ability to lift up to 25 pounds, bend, reach, squat, use farm tools, etc.
● Must be available to work 4 days per week Tuesday-Friday
● Must have 1+ years’ experience in a supervisor and/or manager role
● Must have 1+ years organic farm and gardening experience, willing to train qualified candidate
● Must be able to work outdoors and in inclement weather
● Additional relevant, but not required skills include:
○ Experience/interest in fruit tree management
○ Experience/interest in operating farm machinery and power tools
○ Experience/interest in building/construction trades
This job description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change or be eliminated. Employees are always expected to follow their supervisor’s instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors.
Salary: This position will be offered at part-time, 30 hours/week, $23 – $25 /hour depending on your experience, and provides 50% of an employee health, dental, and vision benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest and a current resume to email@example.com. Emails must contain “Farm2Market Job Training Program Coordinator” in the subject line, and a cover letter and resume should be sent as one attachment.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.