Location: Davis, CA / Hybrid
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Salary: $45,000 annually
Reports To: Senior Manager of Development and Operations
Bilingual Pay Differential: Eligible
CAFF is a California-based membership organization that includes family farmers and other community members passionate about local food, farming, and the environment. As a farmer serving organization, we recognize the historic and lasting inequities in the California food and farming system. We believe farmers of color, and other historically oppressed people, should have the opportunity to create and participate in a food and agriculture system that aligns with their needs, values, identities, knowledge systems, and communities. We commit to advancing racial, gender, and environmental justice in our larger systems, as well as in our own workplace. Currently our programming is focused in four areas: Farm to Market, Policy & Advocacy, Farmer Services, and Ecological Farming. To learn more about CAFF, our history, and our core values, visit https://caff.org/about.
Under the supervision and direction of the Senior Manager of Development and Operations, the bilingual Membership and Development Coordinator provides support to CAFF’s membership, development, and communications programs. This position will be an important part of building out CAFF’s membership and grassroots network, ensuring regular communication and contact with our farmer members throughout the state in English and Spanish. The individual is also responsible for assisting with the production of membership materials, updating the database, website and social media, and helping maintain a web-based directory of California family farms. In addition, this person will also support the coordination of CAFF-wide events, such as the California Small Farm Conference and fundraising events. A person who will excel in this position is someone who can help out where needed, be flexible and adaptable to situations, and is passionate about CAFF’s mission and core values. Attention to detail is essential.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the ongoing development of CAFF’s membership and grassroots network
- Membership outreach (via email, phone calls, text, social media in English and Spanish) and activities including: membership processing, thank you notes and donor recognition, welcome letters, renewals, and appeal mailings
- Maintain accurate information in the database and prepare and track membership metrics (mailing success rates, reports for Board meetings, membership retention, etc.)
- Work closely with the Communications Director to grow and sustain CAFF’s social media platforms, using various online tools to increase engagement–and promote CAFF programs, resources, events and other opportunities for farmers. Coordinator will develop and post content in Spanish and English.
- Ensure website is up-to-date and make edits on an ongoing basis
- Maintain our web-based directory of California family farms. Outreach with farmers to grow number of listings and promotion of directory to food industry / general public
Administration & General, 30%
This person will be an important member of CAFF’s Administrative Team and work closely with all members of the team on various projects.
- California Small Farm Conference: Coordinator will be on the conference planning committee and will assist in facilitating the Spanish Language track of the conference.
- California Family Farmer Emergency Fund: Coordinator will work with other members of the administrative team to run the Emergency Fund program. Coordinator will conduct outreach to awardees in English and Spanish.
- Respond to general inquiries in English and Spanish by providing resources, contacts, or other information about CAFF
- Participate in weekly all-staff meetings, annual all-staff gatherings, and fundraising events
- Represent CAFF by participating in community activities and events as necessary
We know it’s impossible to convey every single task for a particular job in one job description. Our hope is that as we work together, and your role evolves over time, we can adjust your job description accordingly.
Educational and Work Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years experience working in an administrative position, ideally with a nonprofit organization
- Experience working with farmers in sustainable agriculture, or related fields preferred. However, more important than hands-in-the-dirt agricultural experience is a passion for sustainable agriculture, food systems work and CAFF’s mission and values.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to handle competing demands
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely while under COVID-19 restrictions
- Strong computer skills, including above average knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Google Suite, and Wordpress or similar
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm about social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube
- Willing and able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Desired experience: Salesforce and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Requires a full range of physical mobility, such as bending, stooping, lifting, turning, carrying objects, and grasping.
CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds and from historically underserved communities to apply.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and sample of your work that you feel is relevant to this position with the subject line “Membership and Development Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 26, 2021.