In this episode we visit Donald Sherman at his farm in Kerman, California. Donald owns and operates Sherman Produce, a year-round diversified vegetable farm and produce market distributing throughout Fresno County. Donald has been involved in agriculture his entire life and knows about managing on-farm food safety risks. We talk to Donald about his family business and involvement with the African American Farmers of California. Then, we dig into food safety topics like maintaining food safety across multiple farm locations and reducing risks during post-harvest processing.
- Learn more about the African American Farmers of California: https://aafcalifornia.org/
- A guide to safely dispensing sanitizers from the University of Vermont: https://blog.uvm.edu/cwcallah/2020/12/15/safely-dispensing-sanitizers/
- A guide to choosing bins, buckets, baskets and totes from the University of Vermont: https://blog.uvm.edu/cwcallah/2018/11/14/bins-buckets-baskets-totes/
- Excel Tool for Selecting a Labeled Sanitizer for Product from the Produce Safety Alliance (find it under the ‘Sanitation’ heading): https://producesafetyalliance.cornell.edu/resources/general-resource-listing/
- Learn more about CAFF’s food safety work with farmers here and here
- CAFF’s Food Safety Templates: https://caff.org/food-safety/food-safety-plan-templates/
- The UCCE Small Farms Program – supporting farmers in Fresno and Tulare Counties: https://smallfarmsfresno.ucanr.edu/