Title: Communications and Events Manager
Location: California, Remote (Hybrid with travel to Davis, CA)
FTE: 1 FTE
Salary: $55,000 – $63,000 annually
Reports To: Director of Membership & Communications
Other details: Bilingual [Spanish-English required]
CAFF is a California-based membership organization that includes family farmers and other community members passionate about local food, farming, and the environment. As a farmer-serving organization, we recognize the historic and lasting inequities in the California food and farming system. We believe farmers of color, and other historically oppressed people, should have the opportunity to create and participate in a food and agriculture system that aligns with their needs, values, identities, knowledge systems, and communities. We commit to advancing racial, gender, and environmental justice in our larger systems, as well as in our own workplace. Currently our programming is focused in four areas: Farm to Market, Policy & Advocacy, Farmer Services, and Ecological Farming. To learn more about CAFF, our history, and our core values, visit https://www.caff.org/about.
The Communications & Events Manager will help CAFF grow its outreach to and offerings for Spanish-speaking farmer communities across California, while also helping meet our organization’s overall communications needs. With a commitment to better serving and including these farmers in our organization, this position will be key to helping CAFF meet our equity goals while helping to assure that these farmers have a chance to participate, lead, and thrive.
The Communications Team is key to providing outreach, marketing, and acting as a liaison between our members and the organization. This position will work closely with the Director of Communications and all our staff to help promote English-language events and resources, while also leading efforts to grow CAFF’s presence and outreach capacity for Spanish-speaking farmers.
This role will lead and grow the Spanish-language track at the California Small Farm Conference, a relatively new addition to a 35-year-old event. This role will be responsible for program development, soliciting speakers, and marketing the event to Spanish-speaking audiences.
Membership lies at the heart of CAFF, and this role will help assure that Spanish speakers and those from the Latinx community feel welcome here, creating more relevant materials, and working to develop more accessible opportunities for engagement with CAFF.
In the past few years, CAFF has begun growing its offerings to Spanish-speaking farmers, with a focus on increasing the ways CAFF engages with and supports Latinx and immigrant communities. We have an internal team of staff members that helps guide this work. This position will work closely with that team to address challenges and improve CAFF’s overall approach to working with Spanish-speaking farmers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
% Time — Description
40% — General Communications
- Work with the Communications Team and other cross-organizational teams to incorporate Spanish-language and culturally-relevant outreach and goals into overall communications strategies
- Maintain CAFF’s general communications tools/platforms and create content as needed (website, social media, event promotions, database/platform management)
- Develop/design creative content for promotional materials (with basic graphic design and/or other elements of multimedia)
- Support with the development and translation of Spanish-language content (promotional, fundraising, and other materials)
- Develop and maintain WhatsApp groups for Spanish-speaking farmers
- Cultivate organizational partnerships with Spanish-speaking farmer service providers
- Represent CAFF at events, conference, committees, etc. especially related to Spanish-speaking farmer support
- Participation and leadership within CAFF’s “Las Semillas” staff group to guide CAFF’s overall approach to serving and working with Spanish-speaking farmers
30% — California Small Farm Conference
- Organize and execute the Spanish-language track of CAFF’s annual conference
- Co-manage the conference Steering Committee and lead the Spanish-language track Subcommittee
- Develop programming for the Spanish-language track
- Engage in overall conference promotion and outreach
- Participate in the planning process and execution of the overall conference
20% — Farmer Outreach and Programmatic Support
- Work closely with Director of Membership & Communications, Impact & Equity Director, and the Administrative & Systems Specialist to manage and support CAFF’s membership and other programs, projects, and initiatives
- Support the development of membership and outreach strategies unique to Spanish-speaking farmers
- Support CAFF team with Spanish-language materials, outreach, promotion of the California Family Farmer Emergency Fund (including Spanish-language translation of promotional materials)
- Assist Spanish-speaking farmers with applying to the emergency fund
10% — General Administrative Support
This person will be an important member of CAFF’s Administrative Team and work closely with all members of the organization on various projects.
- Participate in weekly CAFF staff meetings and annual retreat
- Participate and contribute to racial equity action planning discussions
- Participate in local grassroots engagement efforts, including outreach and relationship building with farmers in your local community
- Participate in other administrative tasks as needed
- Contributes to annual program strategy development
We know it’s impossible to convey every single task for a particular job in one job description. Our hope is that as we work together, and your role evolves over time, we can adjust your job description accordingly.
Educational and Work Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years experience in communications-related work
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Spanish language fluency, written and verbal
- Cultural competency and familiarity working with immigrant and Latinx communities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, English and Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to enhance and effectively deliver programs to diverse audiences through your understanding of self, language, culture, and community
- Willingness to travel for work
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to handle competing demands and multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Familiarity with information technologies and systems: Google Suite, Zoom, Wordpress, etc.
- Bonus points: multimedia skills, including graphic design, video editing, podcast development, etc.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Requires a full range of physical mobility, such as bending, stooping, lifting, turning, carrying objects, and grasping.
CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds and from historically underserved communities to apply.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and sample of your marketing or communications work that you feel is relevant to this position with the subject line “Communications & Events Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 19, 2023. Reference requests will be made further along in the application process.