In this episode we hear from Dr. Floyd D. Harris Jr. of Fresno Freedom School in Fresno, California. We learn about the organization’s history and mission to connect Fresno’s youth with agriculture, how they implement food safety practices as an urban-based education farm and tips for communicating their food and human safety guidelines to youth, parents and volunteers.
- Fresno Freedom School website: https://xyfloyd.wixsite.com/freedomschool
- Fresno Freedom School Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FresnoFreedomSchool/
- Fresno Freedom School in Civil Eats: https://civileats.com/2019/02/13/fresnos-freedom-school-is-changing-the-narrative-on-farming-for-black-youth/
- CAFF’s Food Safety Templates (including food safety plan and recordkeeping templates): https://caff.org/food-safety/food-safety-plan-templates/
- California Urban Agriculture Food Safety Guide: Laws and Standard Operating Procedures for Farming Safely in the City: https://escholarship.org/content/qt2wc7s0q1/qt2wc7s0q1.pdf?t=qod89d