In this episode we visit Ken Kimes at New Natives Farm in Santa Cruz County. We learn how New Natives pivoted during the beginnings of the COVID-19 pandemic and their food safety practices, including tips for passing a third party food safety audit. Ken also walks us through the farm’s post harvest process and identifies helpful tools and equipment.
- New Natives website: http://www.newnatives.com/
- New Natives Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/newnativesmicrogreens/
- COVID-19 Food Safety Resources: https://caff.org/food-safety-resources/
- CAFF’s Food Safety Templates (including Food Safety Plans): https://caff.org/food-safety/food-safety-plan-templates/
- Sprouts: Subpart M of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Factsheet: https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170723110052/https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/UCM359285.pdf
- Farmer’s Handbook for the USDA Harmonized GAP Standard from Carolina Farm Stewardship Association: https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/usda-harmonized-gap-handbook-and-recordkeeping-templates/
- EcoLab Tsunami Antimicrobial Products: https://www.ecolab.com/offerings/process-water-antimicrobials-food-contact